Friday, February 3, 2012

Mister music man

Wow...hadn't realised it'd been so long since I last posted. To be honest, it's a sad day when life becomes too busy to share your passion for music.

Thankfully my every day life is full of people that are deeply passionate about music and that is a rare and extremely priviledged situation to be in.

I may work for a trance and progressive house label, but the people I work with aren't boxed in by genre. The richness and diversity of their musical taste fill the office with a symphony of different sounds and melodies.

Whether it's Wiley's Christmas tune from the garage officionado on my left, or the sound of PJ & Duncan from the cheesy, cheerful pop-fanatics behind me, the love of music is so clear and so honest that it makes you think, shit yeah, let's get ready to rhumble.

One of the guys in my office is a fellow punk (with a separate but equal passion for DnB as it happens) and when we both listened to 'Prison Song' by System Of A Down for the first time in years last week, I think it brought the same smile to his face that it brought to mine.

It's not just work though. My ex, and one of my closest friends to boot, taught me what real hip-hop is about. His love of hip-hop and jazz is religious. His flow is sick when he rhymes and some of my happiest memories are of going to shows with him. The best of those being when we went to a tiny jazz club in Harlem.

A speakeasy throw back to the days of prohibition. A room no bigger than your average living room and a BYOB policy. This was where a young Billie Holliday sang, it was a spot for Lena Horne too and the man name Bill who owned the joint took to the stage and played the finest jazz I've ever heard. The wild turkey was flowing and the music was almost like a drug, that could transport you to new realms and planes of reality. It enveloped you completely.

Every person in my life brings more music, more passion to it. When I was younger, I always thought that if I was alone on a desert island with no one for company, all I would need was my music and I would be happy. Music is life and life is music. So my question to you is, what does your soundtrack sound like?

No comments:

Post a Comment